Chinese Auction Party Game for Chinese New Year
A Chinese Auction is a fun party game that is also variously known as a Chinese Gift Exchange or a White Elephant Gift Exchange. When you play this game, get in to the spirit of Chinese New Year by wearing a traditional Chinese top of any clothes made in China.
- 2 decks of cards
- At least 6 participants
- One wrapped gift for each participant placed in a pile on a tale (To celebrate Chinese New Year, choose cheap gifts `Made in China`. Visit a $2 shop for inspiration!)
- Deal one deck of cards out to your participants, ensuring that each participant has one card.
- With your other deck of cards, choose one card at random. The participant who has that card gets to choose and open a gift from the pile. Make sure that all participants get to see the opened gift.
- Draw another card from your deck. The participant who has this card gets to either choose a new, unopened gift from the pile, or else to `steal` a previously unwrapped gift. If the participant steals a previous gift, the person from whom it is stolen gets to choose another, unopened gift from the table. After they open their new gift, the turn passes. They cannot `resteal` the item that has just been stolen from them.
- Continue until each participant has a gift.
Additional Rules for a smooth game:
- The same item cannot be stolen more than 3 times throughout the game.
- You can adapt this game for other special occasions, including your annual Christmas party, Mother`s Day or Father`s Day.